Vineyards take a dip in december

After days and days without any drop of rain, which was becoming worrisome for nature, rain falls without interruption for the last days of year and beginning of this one. The river Charente overflows fields and vines take a dip !  Soils get difficulties to absorb so much water in a so small period…

ilvingincognac 2018 flood

Usually the climate is particularly mild in cognac land, due to the atlantic ocean and to its situation in south west France.

The past year has been totally impredictable :

First a mild (too?) winter, except few days in january

livingicognac2017 Bouteville

Frost came suddenly  … on end of april, when the first small leaves and buds were out. A very rare and awful event fore winegrowers.

livingincognac 2017 spring frost The day after…

About 10 % of the cognac vineyards did not produce any grape this year or in very small quantities.  Fortunately,  it has been an interessant harvest for the remaining 90 %.

Then summer has been hot and dry.

livingincognac 2017 Fins Bois

No rain in october and november, the moment for the water tables to fill up for the next spring and summer. It has been one of the most dry year since 40 years until… end december !

As the small rivers and the Charente received so much rain, they spread out on the banks, ,quite at the same level.

livingincognac 2018 flood


Thus, we get moving landscape, with some small  short-lived lakes, trees with roots in water, such as vines, roads disappeared under water.

ivingincognac 2018 flood

livingincognac 2108

ilvingincognac 2018 flood

The quiet Charente looks like a mountain stream !

livingincognac 2018

livingincognac 2018 flood   livingincognac 2108

Boots are highly recommended to walk along vineyards and and food paths.

Livingincognac 2018

As we were in water deficit, we’re not going to complain even if this rain causes some temporary inconveniences. It’s good for nature.





Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on whatsapp

Vous aimerez aussi

Inscription newsletter


Que se passe-t-il ici qui puisse vous intéresser, vous concerner, vous inspirer, que vous habitiez dans la région, en France ou ailleurs ? Chaque mois, je vous envoie un contenu exclusif : la vie dans les vignes et les chais, la créativité et la passion de celles et ceux qui font vibrer la région du cognac, quel que soit leur talent, les adresses à découvrir, les idées de week-end, bref je vous distille l’art de vivre en Charentes à consommer sur place ou chez vous !

Rejoignez le club Living in Cognac Land en vous inscrivant à la newsletter